Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gratitude - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I was hoping to be posting this from California tonight, but instead I am posting it from my kitchen table. Today might be on one of my lists of top ten most crummy days. We were supposed to leave to visit family for the holidays and instead got into an accident on the freeway. Luckily no other cars were involved and no one was hurt. A piece of something flew out of the back of a pick up truck, ricocheted off of a motorcyclist and went through the front of our van.  The poor motorcyclist was driving his brand new motorcycle off the lot when he got hit. He was really upset too. Because the truck didn't stop, our insurance only covers the fix after the deductible. After just spending $1,100 to fix our cars this month, having to spend more is quite overwhelming. It's been a long day to say the least. So I will listen to the prophet's voice and be grateful even during hard times.

10 Things that I am Grateful for about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
1. It is centered on Christ and he is the cornerstone of it.
2. It is organized so that it is the same where ever you are in the world
3. It requires a lot of it's saints - this helps me to learn and grow.
4. In temples, we can be eternal families.
5. It is a social church where you interact and learn to love many different types of people.
6. It encourages the development of your whole self - spiritual, emotional, physical, intellectual. . .
7. It is family centered and offers many wonderful programs to youth and children
8. There is a living prophet who guides it every day.
9. We are asked to serve on a weekly basis at church or through other means
10. It teaches me of God's love and mercy

10 Things about Today that I am Grateful for:
1. No one was injured in the accident.
2. The missile didn't hit higher because it would have gone through the windshield.
3. We got off of the freeway safely.
4. The tow truck guy towed us (in the van) back to Maricopa so we didn't have to get a rental car.
5. My girls were so patient and didn't cry even though we were stuck for quite a long time.
6. Our extended family is generous and made it so that we can still visit for the holidays.
7. Our extended family is understanding in the delays and change of plans.
8. Mike stays calm under pressure and we were even able to joke a little bit about our lot in life.
9. Our mechanics are amazing and will hopefully get us going on our way again soon.
10. Mike forbade me to get more done at home so I had a relaxing evening.

4 comments:

The Picketts said...

Oh no, Laura! I'm SO sorry to hear this!! That is NO fun to hear! Good thing it wasn't in the middle of nowhere and that no one was hurt! BUT HOW CRUMMY!
I sure hope that you can be on your way quickly and that your Christmas will be FABULOUS!
Thank you for all that you do and for our friendship! I LOVE that Gracie loves and adores you so much (I'm kindof freaking out about her going to school next year - and not at my friend's house!)
Merry Christmas, dear friend! :o)

Julie and John said...

Wow, I'm so glad no one was hurt! And I'm glad Mike made you relax. :-)

Moss Family said...

OH LAura!!!!! So are you heading to Cali or staying home now??? I AM SO SORRYYYYY! What a crummy day!!!!

Anupa Harvey said...

Sooo sad! Glad to hear you guys are all ok! Love your insight. :)