Sunday, November 20, 2011

Time Out for Women


My awesome mom came down from Oregon to go to Time Out for Women with me. It's a weekend full of inspiring music and speakers just for women. I absolutely loved it! It was so nice to have some time with my mom where I got to have her all to myself. Even now, Emma complains that she didn't get to see Grandma as much this trip and I just smile and think, "wahahaha! I stole her!" I really loved having her here and I was so grateful for her help. It was just such an amazing weekend. 


There were so many amazing things that were said at the conference that I want to try to remember.

  • "God loves you. Not, God loves you if . . ."
  • "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become."
  • "Tribulation can make you bitter or better."
  • We can't take hold of all the good things that there are out there. We need to pick one thing and do it well.
  • "Don't you be the one who gets in your way."
  • "Children may not obey, but children will listen."
  • "The miracle of the atonement is not just to go home, but to feel at home there."
 One of the singers (Hillary Weeks) told us about a really amazing experience that she had. She heard that the average person thinks 300 negative thoughts a day. (Or something like that.) So she decided that she would do a little experiment and she bought one of those clickers that you use to track how many  people go by. She used it to count her negative thoughts. By the end of the week, she was feeling really down and she realized that it was because she was focusing so hard on her negative thoughts. So she decided she would change her experiment and count her positive thoughts instead. She said that something amazing started to happen. She started to find excused to think positive thoughts so that she would be able to click. She said that she was feeling so much better about herself and about her life and on the third day of that second week, in just one day, she had clicked over 1,000 positive thoughts!

I wish I could be more like that. I think our life would be so much better if I was better at thinking positive thoughts about myself and my family and my situation.

1 comment:

Court said...

Was this in Utah? I think my sister Caitlin was there too, she told that story about Hillary Weeks and the negative thoughts!