Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ponderings

Emma got bullied at school today in a rather inappropriate way. She didn't tell me about it, I found out from her teacher when she called to explain. When I asked Emma why she didn't tell me, she said she forgot and after hearing the story, I was very proud of her for the way she responded to it. But now I wonder was there enough justice? I find myself warring between two sides, the teacher and child lover in me says, they were only kindergartners, they don't understand. The mom in me is snarling and saying, the punishment should be much more severe than getting talked to and only getting a warning. I find my self thinking, (in a very cliche way) what would Jesus do? I realize, I don't know right now, He too understands that there is both justice and mercy. Justice or mercy? Someday maybe I will understand how there can be both.

1 comment:

Court said...

I'm so sorry that this happened to Emma...I had to drive between campuses today at work and I was thinking about you thought...I'm going to share mine.

I think sometimes "justice" isn't served immediately. Many times the Lord warns us and when we ignore the warning and do "it" again the consequences are much greater.

I think it's not always up to us to "serve justice" but we must always provide mercy--or forgiveness. Who knows what this childs understanding is.

I also think part of the justice and mercy is that as a parent, you protect but you also teach, and help your child understand and how to forgive also.

Just my thoughts! I love you!