Late in March, my Uncle Freddy (my dad's youngest brother) passed away unexpectedly. I had the opportunity to drive to Wasco, CA with my cousin, Steven, to attend the funeral. I brought the younger kids with me. It was a beautiful service and I was grateful to be able to see some family members that I hadn't seen in many years and was able to show my kids a lot of the places that I visited when I came to my Grandma & Grandpa West's house. It was nice to remember where my dad and my Uncle Freddy grew up and to spend some time celebrating a wonderful man's life. His daughters, Courtney and Lindsey were some of my favorite cousins on that side. Whenever I came to visit, we spent a lot of time together and I spent time at their house. I remember when I was little, I thought Uncle Freddy and Aunt Kay were the coolest. I also thought it was pretty cool that they had a water bed.
The viewing was the time when we got to see the West's for the first time. Aunt Kay is as beautiful as ever and it was nice meeting Lindsey and Courtney's spouses. Aunt Kay insisted that I still look exactly the same.
Uncle Freddy was such a great man who was such a huge part of the community in Wasco and such a loved member of our family. I remember his positive attitude, big personality, and loud laugh. I know he is in a great place and I hope the reunion with him, his parents, and my dad was a joyful one.
He is buried in the same cemetery as his parents so I was able to visit their grave as well. The last time I was in that cemetery was in high school when we buried my grandma.
At the luncheon, Brandon found a huge mud puddle in the courtyard of Freddy's church. He made quite a mess of himself, but was very cutely abashed when he realized what he had done.
The kids had a lot of fun playing with Karen when we visited my Uncle Wendell and Aunt Shirley's house.
No comments:
Post a Comment