Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Nursery

 It's about 10 months late, but I finally finished Kaitlin's nursery. I really loved how it turned out. I was sitting in there today and thinking, "I just want to close the door and hang out in here and read a book."
I think part of its charm is that the girls don't play in it very often so there aren't toys everywhere.  : )
You will have to excuse the poor pictures. I was just so excited to take them and put them up that I didn't check the quality and now Kaitlin is asleep so I can't retake them.

Naturally I have to start with the quilt that inspired the color scheme. My mom made this beautiful quilt for Kaitlin that I love. The extra fun part is that she added some handkerchiefs that belonged to Kaitlin's Great, Great Grandmother. 
 

I had one of my amazing friends, Jessica, come and help me figure out where to hang stuff. I really owe her big because I loved how everything turned out. (Thank you Jessica!!!) She gave me a few ideas to add a few finishing touches that just made it extra cute.

She suggested that I make a mobile.

And add the butterflies to the vinyl on the wall.
I've been wanting a chair in the room so that I could sit and feed Kaitlin, but I thought it was just a wish because I didn't want to spend any more money. We luckily found this chair at a garage sale and it was in pretty good shape. The thing that is extra funny is that we had this exact chair in Utah and it was Emma's time out chair.


Jessica also gave me the cute shelf that is above the chair and so I made this glass block project that I have had in my bookmarked pages of things that I want to make. A good friend of mine took the picture to put in a frame that I made for another friend's baby shower. I loved the picture so much that I wanted to use it in Kaitlin's room too. It's one of my favorite things in the room.  


I made the valence and bed skirt to match the quilt. It was my first venture in sewing something bigger without any help. Eventually I want to paint all the furniture white, but that won't be for a long time because I know what a big project it would be. Anyway, here's how everything got put together. 

3 comments:

Jessica Rodgers said...

thanks laura for letting me help I love how it all turned out! A beautiful room for a beautiful girl!

The Picketts said...

So cute! And I LOVE what youdid with the picture! :o)

Matt and Jayna said...

I love the idea of the picture frame! A friend made me a Christmas decoration with a block like that. The room turned out so cute!