Sunday, August 29, 2010

Anya's 2nd Birthday

Beware, this is a long one with lots of pictures.

Anya's birthday was a very quiet affair because I had the flu. I have to admit that I completely failed at providing her a fun, great birthday cake and yes, I cried when it didn't work out. I am sure it will be funny some day, but even now I want to make her another cake to make up for it. So, here's the story: I had decided a long time ago that I wanted to do fondant for her cake, just so I could have the experience of trying it. Making a fun birthday cake is something I really love doing and despite being sick, I just wanted to do it anyway. I was tired of not being able to do what I want because of one reason or another. (I know, stupid, stubborn pride.) So I decided to go through with my plans even though I could barely stand up for longer than 5 minutes.

Anya is a huge bookworm and I wanted to make her a book cake. I was planning on making a more simple version of this cake:
Well, I made the fondant and it turned out well. (Keep in mind that I am pregnant with the flu right about now.) So I got out my rolling pin and rolled the fondant onto the pin to put it on the cake. When I went to unroll it, I realized that I hadn't sugared the fondant before I rolled it and it was all completely stuck to itself. When I tried to take it off to re-roll it out, it tore the cake in half. (That's when I cried.) So, after my self pity session, I cut the cake into little pieces and made a simple trifle with it.

Despite the disaster, Anya had a lot of fun. She got to lick the beater from the pudding.
She and Emma played "play dough" with the fondant and enjoyed the fact that it was edible.
We ate "cake" and blew out the candles. I mean blew out candles, then ate cake.
Then she had a lot of fun opening presents. Emma wrapped all the presents for her and she did a great job. We kept it pretty simple because Anya already has a lot of toys to play with so we got her a magna doodle because she really loves them and a few games to help her learn. (I know, poor kid having two teachers for parents. What fun are we?)
Emma bought her a present with her own money and was really excited to see her open it.
When Anya saw what it was (barrel full of monkeys) she was pretty excited too!
She had even more fun when a package from Grandma West and Grandpa Larry came and she got a lot of things that she loves. Grandma gave her some things she needed like sippy cups, bibs, plates, bowls, a book (of course), and some bows.

Each time she pulled something out she would tell us what is was in a really excited voice. The most funny was when she opened the bowls with straws attatched. She held them up and kept yelling "taw" (straw), "taw" with a big smile on her face. She wanted to use everything right away.

And of course we had to read the book the second she opened it. Notice the bow in her hair that wasn't there before?

1 comment:

Anupa Harvey said...

I think we've all been through the same cake disaster at least once in our lives. Even if you weren't pregnant and sick, I would cry too. :)