We had quite an adventure last spring. Mike had been to this amazing place, camping with the boys for scouts. So we decided to try it out as a family. It was raining a little after we had gotten all packed up, but we figured, it's Utah - if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. So we thought we would push our luck and go anyway, hoping it wasn't raining over the mountains where we were going. We got there and it was cloudy, but doable. We unloaded, set up everything and the second we were done, it started raining. We all hunkered down in our tents hoping to wait it out. Fast forward 4 hours, it's pouring buckets, we learned that our tents are not even remotely waterproof and we are all pretty miserable. (If there are grandmas reading this, a new tent would be an amazing Christmas gift. wink, wink.) So at 11:00 at night, Mike and I are unpacking camp (in the dark) running back and forth from the camp site to the car (they weren't that close to each other) and trying to get the kids home without getting them and everything else too soaked. Mike and I were soaked to the bone.
We had originally planned to have this adventure with our good friends, the Sorensons, but they were getting over illnesses so they came up for dinner and then went home. (Turns out they were the smart ones.) Luckily, (or maybe unluckily for her) Jo got to stay and camp with us. The next morning, the kids were pretty bummed they didn't get to camp so Mike took them to a local river and they did some fishing. They caught a few fish that they brought home to eat. (Insert gagging noises here.) So Mike taught Emma and Jo how to gut and cook a fish. (Gagging noises are getting a little louder.)
I didn't participate in that part. I'm so glad I have a wonderful husband who exposes them to these things so that I don't have to. Camping, love it! Being outdoors, amazing! Bugs and critters, totally doable! Snakes and fish, see ya.
But, they had fun and all the kids had their first taste of freshly caught and cooked fish.
No comments:
Post a Comment