Sunday, October 7, 2012

Brandon's Birth Story


I realize that this won't be a grammatical masterpiece so bear with me and my run on sentences. ; )

Before I get into the story, I just have to say that the thing I learned most during this experience is how amazing our friends are. There are so many people who helped with the girls while we were gone and I know that some of you had to make sacrifices to do it. I just want to say how much I appreciate you and love you. Thank you so many times over, I hope that you will receive all the blessings you deserve for your service. And hopefully you won't judge me too badly for how messy my garage and house were.  :  )

Brandon was born "by accident" on Monday. I went in for a normal check up with plans on setting my induction date for Saturday because nothing had been happening. The doctor wanted to induce me because we live so far away from the hospital. He was concerned that since this was our 4th child I wouldn't get to the hospital in time. Anyway, I asked him to strip my membranes and when he did it, he accidentally broke my water. So I rushed to Rebecca's because she was watching the girls (completely unpacked and unready to go) and she was awesome enough to drive with me to Mike's school to get him so we could head to the hospital. I hadn't started having contractions yet, but for the previous births as soon as my water broke, the baby came about 1/2 hour later so I was a little concerned. Rebecca was awesome and took the girls to Corynn (who was going to watch them) and grabbed some things from my house so they would have diapers and clothes. Thank you so much Rebecca! 

We got admitted and nothing happened for a while. They finally gave me pitocin but Brandon's heart rate kept dipping so they took me off of it and called in the doctor. After trying to lay in different positions, they go his heart to stabilize and put me back on it.

After one push, he was born on 10/1 at 10:01 pm. He was 7 lbs 3 oz and 19 1/2 inches. I think his birth date and birth time are pretty cool. It's got to be good luck! It was probably good that he came when he did because the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. His hair has a red tint and he has dimples just like daddy! He has been really happy so far. When he's awake, he will just lay and look around. 

Mike is so excited and so proud to have his little boy!

Brandon was so cute because he talked to us for about 1/2 hour. He wasn't crying or anything, just awake and talking. Here's a little video of it. 

The next day Mike went and got the girls. Corynn had taken awesome care of them and they were very happy and excited. She even did all of their hair, and that is a feat in and of itself. Thank you so, so, so much Corynn! After they came to see the baby, they went out to lunch and a movie together. It's a tradition that Mike did will all the other kids every time we had a baby and I love that he cares for them so much! They went and saw Brave. I guess both Anya and Emma cried during one of the parts with the little girl and her mom. I guess they missed me.

When they visited, it was quite the zoo. In fact, it's been quite the zoo ever since Brandon was born. The day I came home I asked Mike, "Is it just me or have they always been this loud?" At the hospital Emma and Anya were excited, but Kaitlin was so sure what to think of the baby. She kind of admired him from afar and she did not want to hold him at all. 


A few weeks ago Mike said to me, "We have to make sure he isn't spoiled." I laughed and said, "Oh, he's going to be spoiled. With three extra mommies around, there's no avoiding it!"

 

Here's Brandon getting ready to go home for the first time. 
It has been a change, but we are all doing well. He has his nights and days mixed so Mike and I have been splitting the night shift. Once we try to reduce the volume and excitement level a little bit, I think it will be nice to get back into a routine. 

Anya singing Brandon a song.

By the way, Brandon did not like his first bath. Although, he screamed so much it got him to sleep really well.: )

1 comment:

Jessica Rodgers said...

He is so adorable and he has already changed since I held him! I am so happy for you guys! Its so great that you got your boy!