I married a nerd. But, he is one awesome guy so I guess he is excused for his nerdy tendencies. The title of this post is a direct quote from Mike while we were carving pumpkins this year. Every year as part of his Halloween party in his classroom, he tells the folk tale of how jack-o-lanterns came to be. He also gives a little bit of the history of carving pumpkins. As we were carving pumpkins this year, we got to hear the story and a little bit of the history.
Apparently, in Europe it used to be more popular to carve turnips!
Mike bought a turnip to show to his students and since we had it around, he decided to carve it.
We all tried it and it is pretty good. Emma kept stealing the pieces that were carved out to eat.
We did carve regular pumpkins too. We were lucky enough to have Grandma West with us to celebrate Halloween and help take care of Kaitlin.
I strayed from the traditional pumpkin this year and had Anya "help" me using a spoon to take out the pieces of pumpkin.
Happy Halloween!
1 comment:
That turnip is hillarious. Congrats again on the baby! She is so beautiful! I'm glad that it went so quickly for you! You deserve it. So far 3 has been way easier than 2. I hope it's the same for you!
Post a Comment