I have always been really grateful for my in-laws and the Chipman family. I really lucked out when I married Mike. Mike's family is really musical and every year before Christmas they have a party that they call "Chipman's Corner." The tradition started about 14 years ago in Washington and was named because their house was on a corner. Fittingly, when they moved to California 10 years ago they kept the tradition and the name because they still live on a corner.
Each year, they invite family and friends to join them for a night of music. Families who are invited contribute to the program by singing, playing instruments or doing some other kind of talent. Naturally, we Chipmans do a couple of numbers as a group and then also as individuals, couples or families. Mike's dad sits in as the accompanist and also "directs" us as we practice.
This year's Chipman's Corner was especially fun although we missed Tracie (Mike's sister) because she is usually the strenght of our alto section. I sang a song with Alan (Mike's dad) because Mike was unfortunately sick. We were worried that he wouldn't be able to sing at all, but he was able to do the group numbers. Alan was hilarious because we hadn't practiced before and he was also accompanying me. So a couple of times stopped playing to ask if he was supposed to be singing now. Mike's brothers played the trumpet and guitar and sang solos.
We sang two songs together.
Danny played the guitar.
And of course no Chipman's Corner would be complete with out Kazoos
. . .and Helium balloons.
The highlight of the evening was when Danny and his friend started playing the Chipmunk song "Christmas Don't Be Late" on their guitars and James, Brian, and Colleen started singing using the helium to sound like the chipmunks. Anya was such a cutie that I didn't get to hold her all night because her Aunt, cousin, and all of the other moms kept taking her from me. It was a great night with great food and I hope we keep doing it for years to come.
This year's Chipman's Corner was especially fun although we missed Tracie (Mike's sister) because she is usually the strenght of our alto section. I sang a song with Alan (Mike's dad) because Mike was unfortunately sick. We were worried that he wouldn't be able to sing at all, but he was able to do the group numbers. Alan was hilarious because we hadn't practiced before and he was also accompanying me. So a couple of times stopped playing to ask if he was supposed to be singing now. Mike's brothers played the trumpet and guitar and sang solos.
The highlight of the evening was when Danny and his friend started playing the Chipmunk song "Christmas Don't Be Late" on their guitars and James, Brian, and Colleen started singing using the helium to sound like the chipmunks. Anya was such a cutie that I didn't get to hold her all night because her Aunt, cousin, and all of the other moms kept taking her from me. It was a great night with great food and I hope we keep doing it for years to come.
1 comment:
What an awesome tradition. I LOVE it. Singing is such a great part of Christmas.
Post a Comment