Sunday, January 3, 2010

Relief Society

I had a testimony building experience today about Relief Society. It wasn't anything big that happened and our lesson wasn't even focused on sisterhood, but through it, I came to understand a little better why we have Relief Society. The sister who was giving the lesson was very emotional because her son is leaving for his mission this week.

I was emotional as well (all be it on a much smaller scale) because it was Anya's first day of nursery. She was doing okay: sad, quiet and only a few tears. I was so torn between going in to comfort her (as I watched from the door windows) and letting her learn to be in nursery by herself.

So as I thought about myself and the sister who was teaching the lesson, I realized how inspired the Relief Society organization really is. Myself, on a small scale, and this sister, on a large scale, were both going through life changes. Our children are no where near the same age, our situations in life are completely different. By the world's standards, we don't have much in common. However, because of the gospel and especially Relief Society we can come together, feel for each other and find friendship in unlikely places.

I realize how crazy the life of Relief Society presidents can be, but I have really gained a testimony that they are truly doing the Lord's work. As the world gets stranger and meaner and harder we need each other more and more. When it feels like a lonely place, we can find companionship through an organization started almost 170 years ago. I know that Relief Society is organized by God and I know that much of His work is done through the networks in that organization. I am so grateful for all those who serve to make each ward a place of refuge and peace.



If you are interested, you should read this talk about Relief Society by President Kimball. It really helped me better understand the importance of it and the blessings that come from it's membership.

1 comment:

ZAC said...

Laura, you are such a good mommy. I think my #2 child had special strings attached to her. Anyway, thanks for sharing this beautiful message and reminder!